Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Whole Grain Chia Waffles & Blueberry-Vanilla Jam





This morning I was really craving waffles. My darling grandma gave me a waffle iron years ago, and I was ready to whip that baby out. I found a recipe for whole wheat waffle batter and then modified it to include chia seeds and protein powder. I am all about chia, let me tell you. It is loaded with fiber and healthy omega-3 fats. I seriously try to put it in all my breakfast items. 



Once I figured out what I was going to do for the waffles, I realized I needed some kind of topping. We have an old bottle of "maple" syrup, but by "maple," they mean high fructose corn syrup with some artificial flavoring. I. just. can't. do. it. Once upon a time, that sort of thing didn't bug me, but since I've learned more about nutrition and how my body works, I have a really hard time with refined sugars. No worries though! There is still a bit of sweetness in this recipe. I looked up easy compotes that I could make in less than half an hour, and came across this beauty. It is the simplest jam I have ever made. The only changes I instigated were to replace the syrup with honey, and I used frozen wild blueberries from Trader Joes instead of fresh ones (they're cheaper, and great for baking). 

Whole Wheat Chia Waffles

Ingredients:
- 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp protein powder (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil

Directions:
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients seperately. 
- Combine wet and dry, carefully mixing. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes so the chia seeds can absorb moisture. 

This makes approximately 8-12 waffles depending on the size of your iron. Freeze the rest in a ziploc bag. You can reheat them in the toaster for breakfast just like store bought waffles. 



Blueberry Vanilla Jam

Ingredients:
- 3 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
- 3-4 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp grated ginger (optional)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract 

Directions:
- Heat blueberries and honey in small stovepot until boiling. 
- Reduce to a simmer and add chia seeds. These are needed to thicken the jam. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches desired thickness. You can add ginger or lemon at this point if you want to "brighten" it up. 
- Mash the blueberries with your spoon, leaving some bits for texture.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract. Once cool, put in jar. It will stay fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days. 



Seriously delicious. I devoured it. 


Bon appetite! 
Madi

No comments:

Post a Comment